Wednesday 28 December 2011

Get better- not bitter

Surfing around on facebook, I came across a talented photographer in Oklahoma- Dina Weiher. But it wasn't just her photos that impressed me- it was her philosophy on photography that has really pulled me in- and inspired me to write this! With todays cameras and lenses so readily available, fairly cheap and pretty easy to use, everyone can be a photographer! And lets face it- these days just about everybody is! And then the claws come out. I used to be friends with a very talented photographer, and watched as she grew from nothing to the super star she is today. But I also bore witness to what none of her fans saw- all the toes she stepped on, the backstabbing and the lying that she used to get to where she is. And as soon as I picked up a camera, I too was black listed. Photographers are a very "cliquey" (hahaha!) group! As Dina said in her blog, it's like they are guarding secrets worthy of the Templar's! I don't pretend to be a professional, I am continuing to learn more and more every day. I love photography, I love meeting new people, and I feel blessed each time I am asked to help capture a family's memory. But I also love when you can find photographers that are willing to teach and share their knowledge, or to learn 'together' with. And while there are many photographers that are not confident enough in their own abilities to share and mentor, there are a few little gems around (Tayana Photography being one of them!). So- rant over, but hopefully you can take a little bit of this raving with you in  everything that you do- get better, not bitter! :)

Best friends are for life....





1 comment: